10 April 2009

Intermission: Honest Scrap


So, there's this meme going around call the Honest Scrap award. Maybe you've heard of it? No? Oh, well, in that case, I was gifted with said award by Ms. Jessika of Pretty in Plate, who has determined that I be worthy of such an honour because I comment on her blog, which does have a fair amount of brilliance to it. So there's some rules for this here award and they are thus:

  1. When accepting this auspicious award, you must write a post bragging about it, including the name of the misguided soul who thinks you deserve such acclaim, and link back to the said person so everyone knows she/he is real.
  2. Choose a minimum of seven (7) blogs that you find brilliant in content or design. Or improvise by including bloggers who have no idea who you are because you don’t have seven friends. Show the seven random victims’ names and links and leave a harassing comment informing them that they were prized with Honest Weblog. Well, there’s no prize, but they can keep the nifty icon.
  3. List at least ten (10) honest things about yourself. Then pass it on!
Right, so there's the rules out of the way. Rule one is done above (ha! I'm not lazy, I'm efficient!) and rule two will be...well...I can't think of anyone who hasn't been tagged already, soooooo, yeah... Rule three, well...here goes...


Ten Things You May or May Not Want to Know About the Guy Who Writes This Blog (every two months or so)...
  1. Despite my good intentions, I've only finished one story in a length acceptable enough to be called a novella. Sadly, said story was finished when I was approximately 15 and it bears all the hallmarks of being written by a 15-year-old geek. Never shall it see the light of day. Ever.
  2. I did a tour with Uncle Sam's Aviatin' Fools when I was a younger man. I loved my job, but didn't care so much for being in the military (although I wouldn't trade the experience for anything and believe that every snot-nosed 18-year old punk who comes out of high school should be conscripted into the service, but that's another rant entirely.) I'd love if I could still do my job as a civilian, but, sadly, there isn't much call for weapons system maintainers outside of the Air Force.
  3. My friends love to make much ado about my inability to cook anything, mostly due to the fact that I have a bachelor's habit of creating atrocities in the kitchen which should not be visited upon the mortal palate. In point of fact, if given a proper set of instructions, it's quite possible for me to cook quite well. I'm just a hazard to myself and others if left to my own devices.
  4. Khol does not actually exist on an RP server. In point of fact, the character of Khol Drake and the character Khol that I play are two entirely different entities who simply share a name and a class. I suppose that might change if I were to move him to an RP server, but that's not likely to happen in the near future. Interestingly (maybe,) Khol is not based on myself, though he does share a few of my personality traits. Khol has more in common with Michael Westen, than myself.
  5. I am a proud member of the Utiliclan. If not for the fact that the torturous hellhole I live in does tend to get a little on the cold side and tends to be excessively windy, I'd probably wear my Utilikilt all the damn time. Freedom is good, but showing the world what your momma gave ya isn't. It tends to get one's freedom curtailed.
  6. I'm often said to be honest to a fault. I have a nasty habit of telling the truth even when it would be to my benefit to lie my ass off. I actually do this as a defense mechanism. I find it much more useful to use the truth as a weapon than any number of clever lies. It's usually much more painful that way, which feeds my inner sadist. Also, I'm kind of a bastard.
  7. Related to number six is that I have a certain...inflexibility...when it comes to truth and honesty. I am, by nature, a very tolerant person. I will put up with just about anything for a very long time, except for people lying to me. I ended a decade-long friendship in a heartbeat because said (former) friend chose to lie to me. Yes, I realise some would say this makes me the dick, but they're my priciples and I will stick by them, come hell or high water.
  8. Contrary to what the previous two points might indicate, I'm actually a pretty lighthearted and easy-going guy. I come from a long line of sarcastic smart-asses and I carry on the family tradition proudly. Perfect example: my grandfather passed away when I was still a young buck. Now, in a normal family, a relative's passing tends to be a somber affair with all the attendant wailing and gnashing of teeth. In my family, however, we do things a little differently. As my mother and aunt were making the funeral arrangements, they're cracking jokes left, right and center. The poor funeral director, much more accustomed to dealing with the wailing and gnashing of teeth, really has no idea how to handle this pair of jokers in his office. He's trying to remain respectful and somber and all, but, really, when my mom and aunt get going, they're bloody hilarious. They left the funeral director in tears of laughter. My grandfather wouldn't have had it any other way.
  9. The fastest way to a man's heart is through his stomach. In the case of this man, a chicken vindaloo, saffron rice and naan is like a guided missile.
  10. I detest the telephone and cellphones. I understand the need for these devices and I use them only grudgingly. Given my druthers, I'd communicate either via IM, email or face to face, but never over the phone. In a cruel twist of irony, I spend my working day chained to a phone.
Okay, so there's ten true things about me. It's really hard coming up with ten things to say about yourself. Or maybe that's just me, because I'm really not that interesting. Anyway, I'll put more story up soon and stop being a filthy cocktease with these intermissions.

No comments: